Although my husband
usually handled the lawn mowing, when he didn’t have time I would pitch in. One day as I was mowing the shallow ditch near
the road, something suddenly flew up from under the mower. It smacked me in the
shoulder hard enough to make me take a step back.
It was one of those moments when I was truly afraid to
look. When I did, all I saw was a
perfectly round hole, about the size of the eraser on the top of pencil. It wasn't bleeding much, but the size and
shape gave me the creeps and I was almost afraid to feel the back of my
shoulder for fear that I would find an exit wound. I cleaned and bandaged it then finished the
lawn.
My husband called at lunch time and I mentioned that I had a
little accident. Trying to be funny and
minimize the issue I told him that I had been shot. (In our neighborhood that was only slightly
outside the realm of possibility). I was
laughing when I said it but even after I explained he didn’t join in. I received a rather stern lecture about how
serious it could be if a foreign object was lodged in the wound and was told to
go to the acute care center to have it checked out.
It was embarrassing to explain how I happened to get a
perfectly round hole in my shoulder and the doctor seemed more amused than
concerned. After he checked it out he
left for a minute or two only to come back with two more doctors. I was a little worried that he needed not
only a second but a third opinion and asked if it was serious. “No”, he said, “It has just been a long time
since any of us have seen a case of shrapnel “, and 3 out of the four people in
the room got a big laugh out of it.
I had completely forgotten about the mower and when I got
home my husband had it upside down and was untangling something from the
blades. I had been “shot” by a piece of wire frame that once held a political sign.
The same grey as the dry ground, I hadn’t seen it in the grass. I spent the rest of the day trying to decide
which editor to send the story to at Reader’s Digest: All in A Day’s Work or Laughter the Best
Medicine.
No comments:
Post a Comment