We were indoctrinated at an early age. We sat on blankets with our bamboo poles
lying next to us, dangling the tips over the top of the seawall. The line went straight down to the bobber so
that the tiny tug of the child size sunfish or perch would bend the thin tip of
the bamboo. Eventually we were allowed
to stand and use the entire pole to try for Striped Bass or Crappies. We swung them onto the shore at the end of the
long poles while learning to duck the flying catches of others. Bait was everything from tiny pieces of old
lace, minnows, worms and even leeches. I
personally drew the line at leeches even though it threatened my status as a
proper fisherman.
A rite of passage was
to own our first rod and reel and learning to cast was as important as learning
to swim. It also allowed us to try for
the larger deep water fish like Pike and Catfish. Along the way we learned to read the
river. When the water was too high or
the Carp were spawning in the shallows, the fishing would not be good. When the May flies appeared or the water was
very still the time was right. The
reward for all this was a Sunday afternoon fish fry and the satisfaction of
knowing that we had provided the delicious, fresh ingredients. It didn’t hurt that along the way we learned
patience and perseverance, and how to be quiet for long periods of time.
As my life stands right now, I can’t even imagine having the
time to sit on a riverbank, pole in hand, letting just the sun dictate my
time. I am also pretty sure that the
patience and perseverance I remember having back then might fail me. But I
do know where I can go to find the same kind of peace and timeless
contentment. No matter if life is
rushing by or its troubles are multiplying I can “Cast my burdens upon the Lord
and he will sustain me…..” (Psalm 55:22 KJV)
No comments:
Post a Comment