Friday, October 17, 2014

We're Not In Kansas Anymore John Boy


A light snow was falling as we made our way up the steep mountain slope.  My fiancé led the way to the place near the top where he promised we would find the perfect Christmas tree.  We saw deer and Elk and the view became more spectacular the higher we climbed. He seemed to know every inch of the mountain and I couldn’t help feeling like I was living an episode of the Waltons. 

 Apparently he had become used to the fact that I babbled when I was excited because he patiently answered all of the random questions I asked as we as we climbed.  How high did he think we were, where the deer went when it snowed, what kind of pine trees were they, and so on and so on.   We did find the perfect tree and just as he started to chop it down the wind shifted and the snow started to come down with a vengeance.  In the short time it took to fell the tree, the snow had already covered the ground.  He said not to worry because going down was always quicker than climbing up. I was laughing and chattering as we made our way down but I could only see a few feet ahead in the blinding snow and found myself sliding more than walking.  My Walton’s episode had begun to feel more like a natural disaster movie, so I decided I’d better be quiet and take things a little more seriously.

Suddenly he stopped, looked back at me and then stood looking down the slope scanning it from right to left, before he started down again.  When we finally reached the truck I asked him if he stopped because he lost his way.  He said no and explained that he was taught that when you find yourself in a potentially dangerous situation, and conditions change drastically, you should always stop and get your bearings before continuing.  I couldn’t remember anything changing drastically before that time and was sorry I asked when he told me it was because I had stopped talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment