As a
newlywed I was very excited about hosting our first barbeque. Our property at the base of the foothills had
just as much cactus as it did grass so we set up on the cement patio between
the house and the garage. We had just
framed out an addition to the garage so I tried to disguise the stacked lumber
with flower pots.
Everything
was going great until I happened to glance up.
The largest snake I had ever seen in my life was stretched out across a
large beam about eight feet high and practically above the heads of the guests. Within seconds many things raced through my
mind, not the least of which was how it got up there and would it come down to
join the party. Although the markings
were similar I was pretty sure that it wasn’t a rattlesnake because of its
size. It was as large as some boa
constrictors I had seen so I didn’t even know if it was native or an escaped
pet.
The only
word that I managed to speak, or rather squeak, was snake! Within seconds everyone had scanned the
ground around their feet and stood to prepare for a quick exit since
rattlesnakes were not rare in that area.
I pointed, still lacking the appropriate words to tactfully introduce
the uninvited guest. My husband
immediately climbed up the stacked lumber, grabbed the snake and pulled it down
right in front of everyone. Apparently,
I was the only one in a state of near panic because after a short discussion
about what a big Bull snake it was my husband took it behind the house and the
party continued. Not wanting to appear
cowardly I did my best to remain composed.
Later I
asked what he had done with the body, assuming that he had killed it as he
would a rattlesnake on the property. He
explained that Bull snakes were beneficial and kept the rodent population down so
he let it go out back. Somehow, for me anyway,
that did not make up for the fact that it was 6 feet long and could climb up the
side of a building. I was grateful that
our guests were locals because I couldn’t even imagine the panic that would
have ensued if the folks from back home would have been there. Sensing my uneasiness he suggested I give it
a name and treat it like a pet. I
secretly named it after him because I wasn’t sure at that moment which one was
going to be sent to live in the backyard if it showed up at one of our
barbeques again.on
Yikes! Great scene setting, Christine! I always feel like I'm either in the middle of your stories or having a cup of tea as you retell a favorite tale. Thanks for sharing :-)
ReplyDelete