The anniversaries of two events that changed my life forever
happened between November 23rd and Christmas of the same year. My daughter was born the day before
Thanksgiving and not quite three weeks later my husband, her father, passed
away in a tragic accident.
I don’t really remember much about the 6 or 7 days
following the accident except my wonderful family dropping everything to be at
my side for the memorial service. I
didn’t want to travel with the baby so my best friend flew out to stay with me
and my sisters and Mom returned to celebrate the holiday with their young
children. Christmas Eve night came and
went with the presents still wrapped and under the tree. Christmas night
promised to be just as uneventful but as we sat in the living room talking, the
Christmas tree and window lights suddenly popped on. They were on a timer and someone else must
have been turning them off for me each night because I never even saw them. My friend jumped up to turn them off but I
told her to stop when I saw my daughter smiling and looking at the tree. The lights reflected in her wondering eyes
and just for a moment it was Christmas.
We have come a long way since then and this season always
brings with it, the memories, both joyous and sorrowful. We will be celebrating her birthday on
Thanksgiving Day this year and, as always, I will thank God for her and all He
has brought us through.Happy Birthday, My Girl. May God always give you something to wonder at that will bring a light to your eyes and smile to your face even through the hardest times.
Very beautiful!! That touched me to think that TRUE WONDER seems to come during some of the most difficult trials! --BG
ReplyDelete